Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Sister Appreciation Day

So, I'm not sure what day is actually sister appreciation day, but let's pretend it is today.

I just got off the phone with a lovely young lady. She's funny, intelligent, God loving, and a bit crazy, and I love her. Not to mention the awesome hugs!

The day we met was kind of a God thing, well not kind of a God thing, it really was a God thing. I was in youth group after service had ended and I was alone in a crowd as usual. I was at a really bad point in my life. I was struggling hardcore with depression, cutting, and suicidal ideations. I also hated being touched, and people seemed to know that and respect that.

Well, this particular night I was having a real rough time. I had my suicide planned, pills counted, note written, I did not plan on waking up the next morning. Then, as I stood there being the socially awkward person I am out of no where this girl came and gave me the biggest hug, and didn't let go. At first I panicked, then it was awkward, then I felt something I hadn't felt in a long time. I felt love. It was pouring out of this girl and into me. Finally, she asked if I wanted her to let go and I said yes and she gave me the saddest look in the history of sad looks. She took me to meet her mom, who is wonderful, and I introduced her to mine and we parted ways.

That night we became sisters. We never really were friends, it was like finding a long lost family member you never knew existed. Her mom took me in too. Here I was with a whole new set of people to call family. That night I put the pills away, taking only what I was supposed to, and I tore up the note (not to say I haven't struggled since then because I definitely have). God sent her to save me, and that is what she did.

Over the last 6 or 7 years we've grown to know each other better. This girl is always here for me, praying for me and supporting me, listening to me ramble on about random stuff. She has always been there for me. When she went to school in another state she was still there for me, and now as she preps for a rather long journey in Thailand I know that she will still be there, it will be in a totally new way but she's my sister and that will never change.

I love this girl so much God has used her in my life in so many different ways, and He couldn't have picked a better person to send into my life. I guess He knew that, I mean He is God after all.

This girl goes by the name of Danielle, and below is a picture of us the last time we hung out.




No comments:

Post a Comment